#030: Slow down to speed upJan 28, 2023
Data teams usually don’t lack technical skills.
And most problems can be solved w/ good online searching.
The bigger issue is often (dis)organization & (in)consistency.
Adding a shiny new tool won’t fix that problem.
Instead, take time to discuss standards as a team & hold each other accountable.
Be open to compromise & keep your ego in check.
Remember, nobody else is coming to save you.
Sometimes you need to slow down to speed up.
New & interesting
It’s hard enough to keep up with our own lives, let alone the data world.
So here are 4 links to help you stay on top of your game:
My recent videos:
- Stand Out as a Data Engineer w/ Free Tools - Stand out more than just your resume by creating a simple portfolio site with free tools & no-code tech.
- Data Modeling Tutorial: Star Schema (aka Kimball Approach) - Learn the basics of the most common data modeling approach you’ll see as a data engineer.
Other interesting finds:
- dbt Package (dbt_project_evaluator) - A helpful new dbt package you can add to your project to improve data quality and make sure you're adhering to standards.
- Starting a Consulting Company (Seattle Data Guy) - An excellent run-down of starting an independent contracting business covering topics such as getting started, client acquisition & implementations.
Hope you have a great rest of your weekend!
Looking for more? Here are 3 other ways I can help you:
- The Playbook for dbt™ - Learn exactly how to use dbt™ in a modern data workflow so you can show your team what Analytics Engineering really looks like.
- Consulting - Hire me as a hands-on consultant to help complete your next data project.
- Sponsorship - Promote your product or brand to 5,000+ email subscribers and/or 16k+ YouTube subscribers
Level-up your abilities as a Data Engineer, faster.
Learn new data engineering tips, tricks and best practices every Wednesday.