#031: Your ABC’s could make you a better engineerFeb 04, 2023
The alphabet is your friend.
Most databases & file systems sort alphabetically by default.
So factor this into your naming conventions.
Use letters, numbers and underscores to organize & group concepts.
You’ll be forced to think before you name.
But this subtle step can keep your project clean long term.
Which avoids confusion & makes the team more efficient.
Who knew your ABC’s could make you a better engineer?
New & interesting
It’s hard enough to keep up with our own lives, let alone the data world.
So here are 4 links to help you stay on top of your game:
My recent videos:
- Stand Out as a Data Engineer w/ Free Tools - Stand out more than just your resume by creating a simple portfolio site with free tools & no-code tech.
- Cloud Data Storage Temperatures, Explained - Understand the 3 main storage tiers so you can optimize your spend and overall be more aware.
Other interesting finds:
- Technical Writing Mentorship Program (dbt Labs) - dbt Labs is offering a technical writing training to help you create better data content online in 6 weeks. Looks interesting. Applications are being accepted until Feb 17th.
- The 3 Phases of Data Contracts (Great Expectations) - A take on the usefulness of Data Contracts based on if they are verbal, written or automated.
Looking for more? Here are 3 other ways I can help you:
- The Playbook for dbt™ - Learn exactly how to use dbt™ in a modern data workflow so you can show your team what Analytics Engineering really looks like.
- Consulting - Hire me as a hands-on consultant to help complete your next data project.
- Sponsorship - Promote your product or brand to 5,000+ email subscribers and/or 16k+ YouTube subscribers
Level-up your abilities as a Data Engineer, faster.
Learn new data engineering tips, tricks and best practices every Wednesday.