#032: Your brain is more valuable than everFeb 11, 2023
I don’t suggest writing SQL without seeing a database.
And I don’t suggest going independent without having a plan.
The appeal of “no boss” means the reality of “it’s all on you”.
But the more prepared you are, the more confident you’ll be.
Account for days off & assume inconsistent income.
Understand taxes, talk to an accountant & plan for insurance.
But if you have the itch, there’s never been a better time.
Data engineering is complex & the knowledge in your brain is more valuable than ever.
New & interesting
It’s hard enough to keep up with our own lives, let alone the data world.
So here are 4 links to help you stay on top of your game:
My recent videos:
- The Hidden Cost of Open Source - Be careful not to assume open source = free by paying attention to other less direct costs.
- Stand Out as a Data Engineer w/ Free Tools - Stand out more than just your resume by creating a simple portfolio site with free tools & no-code tech.
Other interesting finds:
- moderndatastack.xyz - Great website to get info on pretty much every “modern” data tool while also seeing data stacks other companies are using.
- Intro to Azure Synapse as a Data Lakehouse (Guy in a Cube) - Nice introduction to Azure Synapse and how it’s not just a database but rather a collection of tools to also build pipelines & load data.
Looking for more? Here are 3 other ways I can help you:
- The Playbook for dbt™ - Learn exactly how to use dbt™ in a modern data workflow with best practices so you can confidently build & automate any project from scratch.
- Consulting - Hire me as a hands-on consultant to help complete your next data project.
- Sponsorship - Promote your product or brand to 5,000+ email subscribers and/or 17k+ YouTube subscribers.
Level-up your abilities as a Data Engineer, faster.
Learn new data engineering tips, tricks and best practices every Wednesday.