Why Data Teams Need Version ControlMar 29, 2023
The fastest route to problems as a data team is going straight to Production.
It feels easy in the short-term, but becomes a mess in the long-term.
And I'm certainly not above doing this in the past.
For years I worked on teams where a saved query meant updating Production.
Or even better...the drawn out and terribly boring release nights just to fix a small bug.
But it’s shocking how many teams still do this today when Version Control platforms offer a clear better way.
So in this video, I’ll explain why your data team needs to be using Version Control so you can:
- Stop losing changes
- Release code faster
- Work better as a team
What will you learn?
- The benefits of using Version Control
- Examples of ways to use it
Looking for more? Here are 4 other ways I can help you:
- Modern Data Mastery (Course) - A clear & straightforward overview of concepts & strategies in modern data stacks so you can navigate your data career with confidence.
- The Playbook for dbt™ (Course) - A complete project-based course on dbt™ sharing functionality, best practices & strategies so you're ready to contribute on any team.
- Consulting - Hire me as a hands-on consultant to help complete your next data project.
- Sponsorship - Promote your product or brand to 5,000+ email subscribers and/or 18k+ YouTube subscribers.
Level-up your abilities as a Data Engineer, faster.
Learn new data engineering tips, tricks and best practices every Wednesday.